Friday, September 25, 2009

Episode VIIII: The Final Lap

On November 5th, 2008, I contacted Sophia John at the 89.7 The River, and told her about my plan. I was not really asking for anything specific, in fact I wasn’t sure what I was asking for when I emailed her, I just knew that Sophia is always kind and would probably want to help. She replied that of course she would help, and put me in contact with a girl named Stephanie to get working on a public service announcement for the whole week of Nov. 14th. I was floored. The spot started on Monday, Nov. 9th, and played for the week, and then a different one for the day of the event was made as well. I was extremely happy with what they came up with, and was so grateful when I first heard this PSA:





The last week of October and the first week of November I was making phone calls and stopping by businesses around town to get a couple more sponsors. I had to get the flyer done as soon as possible. I called an old friend of mine, Ed, who owns Paradigm Gardens. He was happy to help. Another friend, Mark was ready to pitch in with his company United Services of America, and Sean from Capes Comics was in as well.





That was it. Time was up. That was all the sponsors I could get, which was about twice as many as I thought I would end up with! I was so excited to see the finished flyer with all of the sponsors on board! Not to mention the bands, almost at last minute I got the bands I needed for the benefit concert as well. With the flyer finished, the Reader put up a full page black and white add in the Nov. 6th issue for the show, and the River spot was playing.



It was all ready to go, looking good! I was getting nervous as the date came close, but I knew I had it perfected.
That reminds me, I went to capitol for a couple more test runs, and one word of advice to anyone who wants to break a record for the tallest Mohawk: pee first! I was drinking water on the last test run, and I had to go so bad in the middle of them putting up the Hawk, but I could not get up. I asked them for an empty water bottle, and was going to use that. Just when I was getting ready, they suddenly remembered that there were security cameras in the room! Well, I did not want that to get on tape, so I had to hold it. Let’s just say that was the longest two hours I had in my life!

That covers most of the events leading upt to the Record Breaking Day. I know this was a bit short, but school is starting to take up a lot of my time. I think I will start the next episodes with the big day. I want to go slow through Nov. 14th in as much detatil as I can, so it will take a few episodes. So...until then, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment