Thursday, August 13, 2009

I Didn't Know He Called Himself "Rhubarb Red"

Well, arguably one of the most influential men of this century died today. Les Paul was 94. When I Googled his name to read the story, I saw that in the beginning of his career, he billed himself as "Red Hot Red", or "Rhubarb Red". Interesting. Probably something that I should know, being a guitar player. People are sometimes surprised that I don't know things like that. But what can I say; I was too busy playing my Les Paul to find out.

I grew up playing a Les Paul Custom Sunburst guitar. It’s a pretty heavy guitar for a kid to learn on, but it was my dad’s only guitar at the time. He eventually bought me my own guitar, but it was too late. I had already gotten used to, or should I say, fell in love with, the Les Paul. So of course I ended up playing it, and my dad played the guitar he bought for me.

So…so long, Les. And thanks for inventing reverb, multi-track recording, and the best electric guitar in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment