Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Episode VIII: A Meeting With the PodFather

I am not sure when I contacted Wayne Brekke of Worlds of Wayne Podcast, but I’m sure glad I did. He was instrumental in getting the attention that my world record attempt received. I got his name and number from Steve “Tuco” Jacobs.
Tuco was the man behind the Omaha Zombie Walk in mid October of 2008. He asked Wayne to record the zombie walk on video, and he did. Not only that, but Wayne turned the video in to I-report.com, and they picked it up! It got play on CNN, and they even called Wayne and did a live interview with him about the zombie walk. When Tuco told me about him, I knew I had to recruit this guy.



When I called Wayne, he seemed eager to do it. I think he was still on a high from the CNN bit he just did, and was looking for more video to send in to I-report. In my conversation with Wayne, I realized that there were two kinds of people I was talking to when asking them to become involved in what I was doing. There was the kind that thought I was not very serious, and did not realize the potential of what I was doing. Then there were the ones who knew exactly what could come of this, and jumped on board right away. Wayne was obviously from the latter group, and invited me to be a guest on his show as well as document the attempt.

I probably should have known about Worlds of Wayne Podcast by then, but as usual I had been too wrapped up in my own little projects to know what the heck is going on in Omaha. I must admit, I did not realize the potential of a podcast show at first. After going to the Worlds of Wayne website, I was thoroughly impressed, and when I went to his studio, I knew he was a professional, and this was no small gig.


As it turns out, Wayne lives down the street from me in Benson, and had his studio in his basement. The room was comfortable, and set up perfectly for an interview. I sat at one side of a desk, and he sat at the other side. He had a lot of fun looking equipment hooked up to his computer, which he messed around with for a minute. I was pretty nervous for a bit. This wasn’t my first interview, but I always get a little nervous for things like this. Wayne quelled my anxiety quickly with his adept experience, and put the microphone in front of me. After doing a couple mic checks, the interview began. He was very smooth, and kept it going, and it went a lot better than I thought it would. If you want to listen to that interview, you can go to Worlds of Wayne and listen to episode 76.

The final video that Wayne shot is posted to the right on this blog, and also in the video and pictures section. As this blog rolls on, I will talk more about Wayne and the video when we get to the Record Breaking Day. In the meantime, I went to Wayne’s studio again last night for a follow up interview. We talked about what has happened since I broke the record, and plans I have for the future. Oh…and I do have some plans formulating! Wayne and I were practically brainstorming during the podcast. That episode should be up on his website anytime now, I believe it will be episode 105. Also, Wayne has agreed to be a guest blogger on my blog! That’s right; the PodFather of Omaha himself will soon be scribbling on this very blog. Be sure to come back soon and check it out.


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment